Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Who can apply for the course?
- Anyone who has served or is serving in the military
- Immediate family member of serving personnel or veteran (spouse; partner, child) can apply ensuring they provide the service number of who is serving/served
How do I apply?
- Online Apply now
Why do I have to be in my last 3 months?
- Service leavers can apply at any time within their resettlement period and a place will be confirmed in the final 3 months of service with a view we can work with you on progressing into employment on completion of the course
How much does the course cost?
- The training is fully funded
Do I need previous qualification?
- No previous experience or qualification necessary
How long is the course?
- Five consecutive weeks Monday – Friday (8.30 – 4.30)
- You must commit to the full duration, missed days may result in not achieving the qualification
I have to attend a medical appointment during the course?
- Urgent medical appointments must be discussed in advance so any reasonable adjustment to learning can be made. Missed days could result in not achieving the qualification
How often do the courses run?
- 6 courses per year at each centre
How many people on the training course?
- On average there are 12 learners per course
Where does the training take place?
- West Sussex – Pulborough
- Hampshire – Aldershot
- Wiltshire, Salisbury & Trowbridge
- Cheshire, Nantwich
- Essex, Colchester & Harwich
- TeesSide, Middlesbrough
- East Midlands, West Notts
- London, Wandsworth
- Devon, Plymouth
What does the course content cover?
- Content includes Brickwork, Plastering, Plumbing, Carpentry, Joinery, Tiling, Painting & Decorating, General Maintenance, Work Experience. Leading to Level 1 Construction Skills qualification, with Level 1 Health & Safety and CSCS Card
What is the style of delivery?
- Mainly workshop delivery, with tutor demonstration and learner one to one support
- At least half a day per week of classroom delivery for Health & Safety & CSCS training
- Some basic IT skills are required, support can be provided if advised in advance
Can I do the course after I have left the military?
- Yes, apply online by pressing the Apply Now button above. You will need to provide your service number
Who can I apply to for accommodation costs?
- Those in resettlement can apply through their resettlement officers (GTR)
- Veterans can apply to other charities such as SSAFA, Royal British Legion, Walking with the Wounded
Is food included on the course?
- If you have booked a residential option (Cheshire, Wiltshire, Sussex), you will be provided with a Full board package (breakfast, lunch, evening meal) in Sussex & Cheshire and Half Board package (breakfast, lunch) in Wiltshire.
- Non-residential courses; at most locations there are on site canteen facilities or local food outlets close by to purchase food/drink
How soon can I do the course?
- We aim to accommodate you on a course as quickly as possible, subject to availability
Can you go onto other training after the course?
- We can sign post you onto other opportunities
Is the CSCS card included?
- Yes, training is included. On successful completion of an online exam, a picture ID card is provided following the course. Please note this is distributed by CSCS and may take up to 6 weeks to receive
Will I get to meet employers while I am on the course?
- A range of introductions take place such as work experience, site visits and employer engagement. Dependant on availability, one or all of these are arranged
What salary can I earn in the construction industry?
- Salaries range from £14,500 up to £60,000 and above
Is there an opportunity to transition into employment?
- We work collaboratively with the UK construction industry, bringing together job opportunities on a large scale. Recruitment into the industry can provide Veterans with roles in multiple job groups. We will sign post learners to local, regional and UK wide jobs and advice on self-employment.
Are employers aware of this course?
- We actively engage with local, regional and national employers across the country.
What is the dress code?
- Personalised Building Heroes workwear will be provided; work boots, trousers, polo tops and hoody
Will I need to bring any of my own tools or PPE?
- Tools & Personal protection equipment will be provided whilst in training
I have been discharged on medical grounds; how will this affect my application?
- On receipt of application we will discuss medical needs and assess the safety and ability to complete the course. In most cases there shouldn’t be a problem
Can you help to put together a CV?
- Advice and guidance are provided to enhance CV’s